Thursday, October 6, 2011

American Horror Story - My Review

I actually debated calling this, "How I wasted an hour of my life."  Actually, the show may have been a little longer than an hour, but I started fading out somewhere towards the end.  I was probably too busy muttering to myself, "What is this?  Why does this program exist?"

Don't get me wrong - I don't shock easily and I want to be scared.  So my problem was not with the show's shocking scenes or language, which was certainly more than I would have ever anticipated seeing on basic cable.  I also don't mind if the show was rather confusing.  I was a big fan of Twin Peaks, so being confused is fine.  (Which, by the way, this show wants to be Twin Peaks, but it will never live up to that standard.)

My major issue with the show was that it seemed forced.  I felt as if the writers sat down and said, "How can we make this show as confusing and disturbing as humanly possible and get away with it?"  I mean, seriously, how many times can you cuss in one show?  Did I really need to see bare ass twice in one show?  Furthermore, how about some real character development?  By the end of the show, I wanted to see everyone get killed.

I will say I did appreciate some of the unusual camera angles. I also applauded the show for featuring a mentally challenged cast member, yet I was annoyed at the way she was treated in the show.  I did think the scary creatures and ghouls were pretty decent.  There was an OK amount of blood and creepiness.  However, I was not scared.

For a show called American Horror Story, I expect to be scared.  I don't want to be annoyed, disturbed, or frustrated, but that was the case for the whole show.  Give me more monsters, more ghosts, and more weirdness.  Give me a lot less random nudity, unnecessary profanity, and obnoxious characters. 

For now, I am going back to watching SyFy channel on Wednesday nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment