Sunday, October 21, 2012

Putting Too Much Thought Into "The Shining"

I could be watching a movie I've never seen before.  I could be attempting to do something productive with chores or errands.  But no, I am watching "The Shining" again.  I am starting to wonder a few things about it though.

First of all, who hires some dude to stay in the middle of nowhere for 5 months with his wife and kid when he already seriously injured that child?  Perhaps child abuse laws were pretty relaxed in the 70s.  Maybe no official investigation ever occured.  All of that seems strange, but OK.  However, why on earth does Wendy, the mother, think it is a great idea to go on this adventure?  Her husband obviously has issues.  Why go in the middle of nowhere with that creep?

Furthermore, why is there still electricity when there is a blizzard and the phone lines are out?  I could believe the generator might kick on for emergency exits, but if there is a terrible blizzard and the phone lines are down, I refuse to believe the electricity is on.  So what is the deal?  Why am I watching psycho Jack Nicholson right now in a well-lit motel?  I just don't get it. 

Also, I don't understand why I am even thinking about this right now.  I've only seen this movie about a million times.  Now is not the time to ponder over these issues.  I need to get a life.  And I need to focus on the next violent horror flick I am going to watch since it is so close to Halloween.

For more fun with horror flicks, make sure to check out:

Poor Parenting Techniques Seen in Horror Movies

Life Lessons Learned While Watching Horror Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment